I’ve been nominated for the Liebster Award by the amazing Bianca.Paige.Smith! This is really flattering and exciting, and I’m looking forward to answering Bianca’s questions and connecting to other fellow bloggers. Be sure to check out Bianca’s awesome blog here http://biancapaigesmith.com/
Here are the Award rules to follow:
Once you are nominated, make a post thanking and linking the person who nominated you.
– Include the Liebster Award sticker in the post too.
– Nominate 10 other bloggers who you feel are worthy of this award. Let them know they have been nominated by commenting on one of their posts. You can also nominate the person who nominated you.
– Ensure all of these bloggers have less than 200 followers.
– Answer the ten questions asked to you by the person who nominated you, and make ten questions of your own for your nominees.
– Lastly, COPY these rules in the post.
So these are the questions Bianca asked:
1. What is your favorite color?
Red. It has been for several years, and it’s getting a bit out of hand: I have an awful lot of things in red, coats, handbags, curtains, bedlinen, clothes, kitchen equipment… But I love all shades of red, it’s such a gorgeous and vital colour. And it makes it easy for my friends to find me in a crowd.
2. What is your favorite meal to make for yourself?
Ooh tricky. Maybe one that I got from my Mum, which we call ‘crispy chicken’- chicken thighs in soy sauce, garlic, and lemon juice, roasted in the oven. The skin gets super crispy (hence the name) and my brothers and I used to fight over the crispiest thighs when we were small. Now I make it for myself and get to eat all the crispy skin J
3. What is a meal that you love but you only get when you go out to dinner?
Sounds simple, but spaghetti carbonara. I’m just terrible at making it for myself, which makes me sad because I adore it. I like trying it everywhere to find the best one. The frontrunner so far is a restaurant in Ambleside in the Lake District, of all places. It’s called Tarantella, if you’re in the area.
4. Would you rather be honest or loyal and why?
Hmm. I think often these two go hand-in-hand. But if I had to pick one I think probably honest. Obviously there’s a difference between blunt and hurtful honesty, and respectful, subtle honesty, but I think honesty in all relationships is very important. I’m generally a very honest and very loyal person so neither of these are that difficult for me!
5. What is your favorite thing to do by yourself?
Not much beats going to a cinema with a café in it, having a tea and then going in to see a film on my own. It’s a terrifically peaceful thing to do. And I seem to be good at picking very good films to see alone; I can’t remember being disappointed by any I’ve seen by myself.
6. What is the first thing you usually say when you wake up in the morning?
What time is it. I often wake up too early so I always check to see how long I’ve managed to sleep and if there’s some time left before I have to be up.
7. What are you passionate about?
LOTS of things. Gender equality is a big one. We’ve come a long way in some places but there is still a lot to do, for both sexes I think. The stories I read with women being treated as second-class people, or not really people at all, make my blood boil. But in recent times with the development of feminist thinking I’ve seen some backlash with men being treated as sexual objects more, some instances where I think ‘you wouldn’t get away with that if he was a woman.’ For example, a comedy programme I saw recently had a man sitting topless, and a female comedian/ventriloquist put a mask over his face and talked for him. It was funny, but can you imagine if he’d been a woman? Obviously it’s not such a big problem as female soldiers in Indonesia having invasive ‘virginity tests’ before they’re admitted to the army – as if their virginity had any impact on their ability to protect their fellow citizens – but still, it’s important to remember it’s about equality for everyone, not just women.
8. Who/what makes you laugh the hardest?
Normally stupid things that nobody else thinks are that funny, but which tickle me and I’ll be laughing about them for days. But most recently, the honest trailer for the third Hobbit film made me laugh so hard my stomach hurt.
9. Who could or would you spend all day around and not get annoyed with?
My closest friends, my boyfriend, most of my family, my dog. Myself.
10. What is the best advice you have ever gotten/best advice you could give to someone else?
Best advice I’ve been given: my Dad when I was small and had insomnia, telling me to try not to worry if I couldn’t sleep because I would be getting some rest anyway. It’s difficult to follow but I still try to remember it. I could probably extrapolate it out to saying, don’t worry about things when worrying about them will only make them worse. If I’m worried about sleeping, you can be damn sure I won’t sleep. I think there’s a Buddhist proverb: If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying? Cracking advice if only I could follow it.
Best advice I could give: a quote I saw at the tube once: ‘If you can’t put your heart into it, get yourself out of it.’ I saw this at a time when I was in a job that was driving me into the ground, and I knew that I had to get out and do something I enjoyed. If you’re in a situation where your heart isn’t in any part of it, whether it’s a job where you don’t like the people or the work or the money or anything about it, or a relationship where you know deep down that it really isn’t working, if there is any way you can, get yourself out. I didn’t realise until I got out of said job how much damage it had done.
Wow that lot really made me think! Awesome questions!
These are my ten nominated blogs. Actually couldn’t see how you find out how many followers they have, which I’m sure is me being dense. Hope it’s okay anyway!
Please answer the following questions and let me know when you have so I can read your answers!
- What made you start your blog?
- Cinema or theatre or watch a film at home?
- What’s your favourite book ever and why?
- Who was the most inspiring teacher you’ve ever had?
- Where do you want to go more than anywhere else?
- Who/what do you miss the most?
- Tea or coffee?
- Umbrella or raincoat?
- What would be your top desert island disc?
- Puppy person or kitten person?